You will need to have your braces “adjusted” every 6 to 8 weeks. This is to move the teeth into the desired position and create the smile you want.
You won’t feel your teeth moving, it is a very subtle and gradual process that takes 12 to 18 months. At each appointment, the elastic bands will be changed and a new wire may be put in. After an adjustment, you may have some discomfort.
These are instructions about the use and care of your retainers that you will have fitted at the end of your course of orthodontic treatment.
Please read this carefully and if there is anything that you are unsure about, please ask, we are here to help you.
- Retainers are designed to hold your teeth in their corrected position after braces have been taken off.
- It is YOUR responsibility to keep your teeth in their corrected positions. If you wear your retainers as instructed, your teeth will not move from their straightened position.
- If you DO NOT wear your retainers as instructed your teeth WILL MOVE and we will be unable to offer new braces free of charge to straighten them again.
- Your retainers will need to be replaced from time to time depending on how well you look after them. We are able to replace them for a reasonable charge so that your teeth remain straight.
- Wearing retainers is a long term commitment if you wish to keep your teeth perfectly straight.
- Bring your retainers with you when you come for your review appointments.
- You must clean your retainers daily using a toothbrush and denture cleaner tablets.
- Soak your retainers daily in ‘Retainer Brite‘ for 15 to 20 minutes (when the blue clears).
- When you are not wearing your retainers keep them in a secure container covered in water.
- DO NOT use toothpaste to clean your retainers as this will make the retainers change colour and become brittle.
- DO NOT expose your retainers to hot water or high temperatures.
Ready to find out more?
To Get In Touch Today.
Click on the button